View Single Post
Old 02-21-2002, 03:48 PM   #100
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, it's all kind of comic when you think about it. Not to worry, from what I've seen the reaction to that thread is not common for the Barrow-Downs.

I did not start the notorious thread, but was trampled by a teeming mob when I leapt to the defense of the one who did. She fled, leaving others to uphold her end of the heated debate, threw rocks at her attackers from a different thread, and then at the Barrow-Downs in general from another Forum. I tried to perhaps change the subject (some interesting points had come up, and the subject of the 'notorious' thread was going in fast, furious circles) but that was not a good idea. After the reaction I got from some, I retired from the Barrow-Downs for a week to keep from firing my own artillery rounds.

The whole subject was eventually shut down for lack of politeness on all sides, while Mithadan and others had to write to complaining Hobbit moms that yes, others had a right to their opinions.

The blame for the ferocity was laid on the one who started the thread, but I think the thread name caused most of the trouble. It was too blatant, and didn't invite either the subtlety or humor the subject needed. Out of consideration for the biblical subject of the current thread (see, Mr. Underhill, there is some in this world) I'll not mention the actual subject many (absurdly) found so offensive. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]