View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
1420!

This chapter is certainly nice. The Pony really feels homely, just as well as the description of the food (have I mentioned that it is one of the things I have always appreciated the most about LotR, the description of food and drink - and baths?). And good Mr. Butterbur is just a lovely character. I like him a lot, however chaotic he is. He, in my book, is the prime example of what should a "common person" on the "good side" be like.

Since Boro has mentioned his dislike for the film portrayal of the Pony, I might note that I disliked the portrayal of Butterbur. He was supposed to be "faster" (and he was not supposed to have moustache). The film Butterbur seems to have holes in his memory, but not because he is too busy, but because he seems a bit slow-witted.

I also relate a lot to Merry here. I never realised it before, but it is obvious. On the most basic level: he does not want to go to the common room, he prefers to be alone and later to take a walk outside by himself. Sounds relatable. Quite a mundane way to act, regardless of whether you are being chased by Black Riders or not...

And, one more thing, mandatory random lore-time: "There were probably more Outsiders scattered about in the West of the World in those days than the people of the Shire imagined. Some, doubtless, were no better than tramps, ready to dig a hole in any bank and stay as long as it suited them."

Very unusual information regarding Hobbits. I have always discouraged the idea of Dungeons&Dragons style "halfling thief" hailing from a random imaginary village in the wilderness, but actually, after reading this, it doesn't sound that uncanonical, does it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote