View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 01:45 PM   #54
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lira

As Lira slipped from Uien’s room, a smile lit her face: a dulcet warmth glowed from her blue eyes as she turned them once again towards Uien’s door, remembering how happy Uien had been to hear that her family was safe. It was strange that Uien had survived and Lira wondered vaguely in what Darkness Uien had fallen on that dreadful day on the mountains. But whatever it was, it was passed and Uien was safe. Her brother had been right, Lira mused as she stretched herself upon the bed again, when he had protested to the skeptical elves that she lived.

The ponderings of Uien’s own family brought to mind the state of Lira’s own family. The subtle joy that had entered her heart and had made her forget her worries, fled at the thought of the journey to the north. The letter that had been wrapped around Corn’s leg was still in her pocket and, Lira once more went to read it. It was slightly yellowed and torn from the weather and from Corn’s curious beak, but it was yet readable:

My dear Lira,

This is Corn. Of course only a raven with so ridiculous of a name could only have been named from your father. Since he was the one who found it injured and dying in the corn field he insisted on naming (which I just admit is only fair) but Corn is such a queer name for such a magnificent bird.

We are well here and in the north, though we are swiftly departing it for the Grey Havens. I am glad, too, because the cold and wet is so uncomfortable and there are rumours of ruffians about...

Namarie with my love,

Mother

Lira smoothed the slight crumpled letter across her knee and traced the graceful elven script with her finger. Why did she send Corn, instead Silivren? Lira wondered, foreboding entering her heart. Long ago, amongst the entwining roots of a dying tree of Eryn Lasgalen, Liralwen, her mother, had found the injured dove, her white feathers stained with blood. Lira’s family had nursed Silivren back to health, but the dove remained devoted to Liralwen and Silivren had been the promised messenger to bring news of their reaching the Havens. It didn’t make sense that they would send Corn, a relatively new bird, to bring a message to her.

A raucous crying drifted through the window and a moment later Corn himself flung himself into the room amidst a flurry of feathers and landed with much enthusiasm upon Lira’s shoulder. Running his sable beak through her hair, he hunted for the glittering brass pins that pinned Lira’s numerous braids through her hair. But when his beady black eye caught sight of the letter, his eager flittering ceased, and he nibbled gently at Lira’s ear, as if he wished to whisper something to her. “What happened, Corn?” she whispered.

Rising, she went to the window and watched the sun sink down below the horizon: a crimson- purple glow spreading from behind the Downs. Crickets strummed upon their strings and began their peaceful, yet melancholy music of the evening. Lira smiled gently as she watched the hobbits ready for bed and saw the first star appear in the sky. She returned to bed, with renewed hope.

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]