View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I must thank Hookbill for his thoughtful editing which provides help to those who, unaccustomed to watching television, are less adept than others at reading this dark screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
And, having visited Graceland (the house of Elvis Presley), I've realized that we all have 'something;' ours is just LotR. It's probably due to some gene.
Wait a minute! Are you comparing us to those folks at Graceland? Where do they fall in Cornell's two possibilities of interpretation, the mad consumers or the playful hunger artists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell
They want to portray fans as mad consumers, people who accept everything the television [or books or whatever] gives us, without question. That's them, I'm afraid. Fandom is the culture that takes what television [or books or whatever] gives us, chops it up, laughs at it, pulls it apart, makes its own art with it, and eats it.
I had previously thought that those who Await The Return of The King are like the first kind of fans which Cornell described--"mad consumers"--but now I see that those who believe that Elvis Has Just Left The Building are more like the second kind of fan. Having never visited Graceland, I don't know which kind al is referring us to. And would there be two kinds of genes, or would one be a mutation of the other gene?

I myself daily wish that I had an ent's company in my garden. I've got a few plants that would really benefit from some ent-draught.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 07-25-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: clarifying points with a few caps
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote