View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots "You're sad, you are!"

How often have we heard this accusation, as Tolkien fans? Or, indeed, as fans of anything at all? There is something about becoming emphatically interested in certain topics that produces a lot of bile and hatred from many parties. I never really understood why. A friend of mine was reading a book about fans and fandom of something else and came across this quotation, which I think may help us understand the ridicule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence Denied - Paul Cornell
The reason the greater culture [ridicules fans as 'sad obsessives'] is sheer psychological projection. They want to portray fans as mad consumers, people who accept everything the television [or books or whatever] gives us, without question. That's them, I'm afraid. Fandom is the culture that takes what television [or books or whatever] gives us, chops it up, laughs at it, pulls it apart, makes its own art with it, and eats it.
Tolkien study is, at times, deeper than this, I would say, but the point remains valid. Here in the UK certain things are seen as normal and even admirable; the collecting and discussing of sports statistics, gossiping about celebrities and so on. Yet these bear similar traits to much that is true of, not only Tolkien, but many supposedly 'geeky' fandoms. Of course, the argument is always raised that these things (sports, celebrities etcetera) are from 'real life' and this Middle Earth is not.

So, why do we do it? The 'reality' of Middle Earth may be debatable, but we just can't stop loving it! This topic is here for us to discuss our trials and tribulations as Tolkien fans. When has a useful quote from Gandalf got you out of a tight spot? A quick "what would Bilbo do in these circumstances" given you a new way of looking at things? A Gollum riddle stumped your friends?
Do we all get a hard time from others about our supposed 'obsessive' behavior?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 07-25-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote