View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #91
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
I get the feeling that the Morgul Lord would have beaten a large hound. Also, just because a character is a maia doesn't mean they win. Just look at Sauron. Finally, Turin climbed up a gorge and stabbed Glaurung in the stomach while he slept.
and

Quote:
You're assuming here that Huan is a Maia, while there's no text supporting that idea, as far as I know.
That "large hound" defeated the Morgul Lord's master, Sauron. There's no question Sauron was immeasurably superior to the WK even in the Third Age, during which he was greatly reduced from his original non-incarnate form of the First Age before the making of The One Ring. Huan was greater than any non-Maiarin being of the Third Age, period. Read about him again.

And while I admit that Tolkien did go back and forth about Huan's original nature (Maia vs. 'special beast') the Maiarin origin is the most likely considering these points: Huan formulated his own thoughts in his heart (Sil.), rather than parroting those of others or being a sort of puppet to another's will; Huan defeated Sauron, as well as a mega-beast that was saturated with Morgoth's mojo; it is said of Huan that "no wizardry nor spell, neither fang nor venom, nor devil's art nor beast-strength could overthrow [him]." Additionally, there is Tolkien's footnote to Myths Transformed (in which he debates the nature of the Eagles and Huan) that says "As the Valar would robe themselves like the Children, many of the Maiar robed themselves like other lesser living things, as trees, flowers, beasts. (Huan.)" Tolkien's words, not mine. In any case, since this discussion is not about Huan's nature exactly, but rather about his relative power, I'll reiterate my suggestion to go read about him again and then tell me what "feeling" you get.

Quote:
WK was not going to be slain by any "man" - wouldnt that default him above at least all the human males? What about elvish males?
No, because this prophecy had nothing to do with power, just a prediction of events. Just because Glorfindel predicted that the WK wouldn't be slain by a living Man (and I believe this prophecy refers to the maker of the Blade of Westernesse rather than Eowyn) does not mean that no Man had the power to overcome him.

Quote:
Or, if you include objects, then consider others - the Watchers, Orthanc, the Mirror of Galadriel, etc etc.
And especially the Silmarils.

Quote:
Sorry Obloquy but to have the list with all sorts of minor beasties on, and not Arwen, after all she is the daughter of Elrond and grand-daughter of Galadriel, she must have some power; more than a lot of the humans on the list. In saying all that, it is never apparent, we can only assume by her lineage and teachings at Rivendell, that she has power, surely she didn't spend all day lounging around like some bored little princess. If she did have power, where on the list would Elladan and Elrohir come?, who must surely have had special training.
She may have some level of power, but what did she ever accomplish that gives us any sort of reading on that power? As far as we know, she was a housewife with fabulous cooking skills.

A lot of the people on this list would be difficult to place exactly in relation to others of similar spiritual stature. I suggest moving to a bracket format wherein varying degrees of power are recognized within a bracket without requiring those beings to be sorted when it's impossible to gauge them against one another.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote