View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #84
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I've dropped the Witch-King a certain degree, because it occurred to me that much of the Witch-King's seeming height of power at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields was due to the power and will of Sauron so focused upon said battle. Nevertheless, the ring the Witch-King wears IS who the Witch-King is, and therefore must be understood as central to his power, which is (ahem) more than 'skinny faced'. So above Húrin he goes until you can persuade me otherwise, or else start your own list (if you like) as I've suggested already to others....
Are you familiar with Hurin? Have you read about him?

Additionally, what about Huan, Radagast, and the Blue Wizards? All of these folks are incarnate Maiar and would own the hell out of the WK. Cirdan is Calaquend (although Telerin [edit: some may have noticed this error]) as well, homeboy, so the WK's got nothing on him. Turin ruined Glaurung, so how do you reconcile that?

I won't make my own list, but I might rearrange yours a little.

I recommend:

- add Olorin to the list immediately above or below Sauron
- move Eonwe to right below the Valar and move Sauron and Olorin just below him
- add Arien above Sauron and below Eonwe
- drop Earendil below all the Maiar
- Ungoliante should be somewhere amidst the Valar, though who is above and below I couldn't say
- add Curumo (to distinguish between Saruman in his incarnate form and his natural form, as with Olorin and Gandalf above) and place him just below Olorin
- move the dragons below all the Maiar
- add Gothmog and place him below Curumo
- move the Balrogs to the bottom of the Maiar list but above all the others except for Glorfindel, Luthien, Thingol, Feanor, Finrod, Galadriel, and Galdor (who you need to add)
- remove The Ring
- what's Arwen doing on this list?

Last edited by obloquy; 03-30-2006 at 12:52 AM.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote