View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 04:39 AM   #6
Palando
Animated Skeleton

Location: That place in your heart where from warmth flows and love grows
Palando has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sleep came at first with ease, as it had done the previous night alone on the hill. But then he remembered Annawyn’s words and he awoke with a start. Kiatus and Catrina lovers? Impossible! He had brought about the destruction of their family, the death of so many… The seamstress must have been mistaken, confusing Catrina’s fear with affection!

He tried to relax but his mind spiralled; his heart beginning to race, anger boiling up to consume him. He would Kill Kiatus! Burn him! Make him pay for the pain. His thoughts disturbed him but fuelled with such grief he was powerless to stop them.

A comfortable feeling engulfed him then; the warm assurance of revenge. A smile curled on his lips, but not the smile Annawyn and Haleg had seen. It was colder, deeper…

With greater ease than he had expected Halasan made his way into the camp, his mind filled with the burning face of his wife Gwen. In his mind she called for him to come back, but the fire would burn away her words into an illegible murmur. Suddenly the leader’s tent loomed before him and his was inside.

Now he stood over the prone figure, dark eyes staring up above him into space, Halasan’s sharp skinning knife pressed against his throat. The leader told him everything; told him of Kiatus’ betrayal and the taking of his beautiful daughter, everything that strangely he already knew!

Halasan waited until he had finished before plunging the dagger in deep. Dark viscous fluid sprayed up his arms, and the body convulsed violently for a few moments. Suddenly he could hear laughter, clear as the ringing of crystal, all around the tent, he looked around in confusion, ignoring the convulsing body as he searched for its source. The laughter increased, becoming bubbly and indistinct. Halasan looked down again; and cried out in pain. The lifeless eyes of his daughter now stared up at him accusingly. He quickly pulled the knife from her throat and for a moment he stopped, transfixed by her white dress drench crimson from the opened throat, and then he screamed. Screamed until his throat tightened with the strain.

Halasan opened his eyes. His breathing was short and his heart beat painfully in his chest. “Halasan.” A voice called in the darkness, full of concern. “Halasan, are you ok?” His eyes grudgingly adjusted until he could see Haleg looming over him, his face all concern. The door behind him was ajar and a woman stood silhouetted by the candle light behind. “Is he ok Haleg?” the woman’s voice called out. Halasan recognised it as the innkeepers. He sat and stared ahead for a moment.

“Gave us scare there you did. Recon you woke the whole town with your screaming” Haleg patted his shoulder as he spoke. Suddenly Halasan leapt to his feet. In the doorway now was not Bethberry, but a young slender girl in a night dress, her face obscured by the dim light. “Catrina!” he yelled and leapt forward to the doorway, relief flooding in to his heart. She must have escaped, returned to him! His mind span with hope as he ran for what seemed an age. But Catrina did not open her arms. Instead she screamed and leapt back out of the doorway and Halasan was violently stopped by an outstretched hand and a dagger. Then his vision cleared and his mind awoke.

He now faced a large, bearded man, his arm holding Halasan in a firm grip. From his clothing and face he looked like a man of Gondor. He looked from Halasan to the girl slumped on the floor. The woodman could now see that she was not Catrina. “I..I’m sorry” he said weakly. The man turned to face the girl fully. “Lady, are you ok?” he asked in a deep voice tinged with uncertainty and concern. The girl stood, and coughed sharply before speaking. “I’m fine Azariah but please, put the man down, he looks in more pain than I!”
“Aye, that would be a good idea if you want to keep your arms firmly in their sockets!” a voice to Azariah’s right proclaimed in a steady, dark voice.
Azariah pushed Halasan back into the room and drew his sword in one smooth motion before turning quickly to face his aggressor. He almost stepped back as he faced the wild eyed axe-man; his axe blade looking dark even in the dim light with only its silvery thread reflecting the dancing candle flames..

The warrior planted his feet and raised his sword level with the axe-man’s face. “My arms are staying where they are strange one. This man attacked someone in my care, I defended. Stand down.” His voice was commanding, but this only seemed to anger Haleg more. He said nothing in response but moved a step closer, a smile appearing on his intense features. Suddenly Halasan walked between them with his arms raised. “Peace, please.”
For a moment there was silence before Azariah lowered his sword and walked over to the young woman in the corridor. Haleg remained standing, his chest visibly rising and falling as he tried to calm down.

Halasan moved over to the couple. “Please accept my apologies friends, please! I meant no harm!”

Azariah kept his gaze fixed on Elenna, but the lady looked towards Halasan and could see the torment in his face. “Its ok, it was but a waking dream that passed, I am unhurt.”
Halasan’s shoulders slumped in relief and he smiled weakly. “If it was but only a dream. My family were recently murdered and my daughter stolen. I seek her now, and the man who did it all. The nightmares come less frequently now but I really thought that you were my Catrina…I..” His last words were laboured as the tears fell again down his face.

He felt an arm clasp around him and he let himself be led back into the room, not sure who it was that guided him. He lay down again and this time quickly drifted off to sleep. Not even noticing as Haleg, Azariah and Elenna left the room, the burly axe-man taking a final look around before closing the door.

Halasan awoke to a warm morning, a cooling breezing flowing in from the open window leaving his skin tingling. He opened his eyes. A cone of orange-red light shone into the room, causing the millions of dust motes in its way to shine a brilliant white. Taking a deep breath Halasan stood. How much of last night had been the dream? He could not say.

Quickly he dressed and made downstairs for breakfast; the smell of fresh bread and frying eggs teasing him as he descended the stairs to the common room. Already it was busy and he could see Haleg sat at a table enthusiastically delving into a large fried platter. Sitting at the same table were the couple from last night, Elenna and Azariah, and they were talking together, the tall warrior still furtively glancing across to the axe-man when Elenna looked away.

So. It had not been a dream. Expecting a rebuke, anger flared suddenly in defiance and he moved to the table, ready for the rash and heated words. But none came. Haleg looked up, his beard traced with flecks of food and grease, and he smiled. “Morning friend. Good sleep I hope?” Halasan nodded and sat next to him.

The tall man of Gondor looked up at Halasan as he sat down. “Feeling better friend?” His voice was kinder and softer than the woodman had remembered from the previous night. Halasan offered his hand in friendship and for the next hour sat and talked with Azariah, Haleg and Elenna.

As the last of the plates were taken away Halasan rose. “I thank you again for your company and understanding but I must go now. Someone I met yesterday may have news of my daughters movements.”

Haleg rose also and joined Halasan, and together they left the inn to see the seamstress.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Palando ]