View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #84
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
=AganzirIt's different. Fëanor had some charisma. And dark hair.

Besides I imagine Thingol looks like a lewd grandpa just because I once managed to paint him like that. Eww.
All right, point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
He didn't start the war. Melkor did. Melkor made it his number one goal to corrupt Feanor. Once he decided to do that, it was a given that Feanor was going to be tainted. The only people who had the power to undo the damage were the Valar. But instead of undoing Melkor's lies (like Melian did with Hurin) they punished Feanor via banishment which only strengthened Melkor's stain.

Yeah. Really great judgment there.

Once that happened, it was over. Something bad was going to happen. And Melkor stealing the greatest work of hands ever (Silmarils) and killing Feanor's father pushed Feanor over the edge (remember, it said Feanor loved his dad more than any son ever loved his father).

And when Feanor arrived at Alqualonde, he didn't start the killing. He offered the idea of Olwe's people helping them build boats or ferrying them. It was a reasonable offer considering the Noldor had built their city for them. But no. Because the Valar didn't want the Noldor to leave, their puppet Olwe refused to help.

So Feanor began manning the ships. And then the Alqualonde elves starting throwing them overboard. And remember, the Noldor were weighted down with weapons and and armor and such, so the Alqualonde elves were essentially drowning them. They started the killing.

But anyway, this exercise in logical thinking usually proves too much for my fellow Downers. It's much easier mentally to blame Feanor rather than trace things back to the Valar.
Oh, how corrupted by Morgoth's lies you have become! You start with speaking about him, yet end up with Valar, who were as much victims as your Fëanor was.

However anyway, Fëanor was selfish and greedy person, who did not care about the lives of his kin, and even of those close to him who followed (I heard about some ship burning). Mainly, however, you say the Valar were the only ones to remove the damage. Not really. They asked Fëanor to give him the Silmarils, yet here his greed prevailed (it's of no matter that he factically didn't have them anymore at that point) and he refused to give it to them. And they did not force him, by any means, even though I can imagine people who would argue they had the right to, as there was the fate of Arda at stake (I think it was right the way they did it, but anyway).

Perhaps the Noldor had moral right for some of the Teleri's help, and they were their kin after all, however anyway, Noldor had no right to go and take their ships if Teleri did not give them to them. They Noldor acted no differently from Morgoth, the basis of the deed is the same: stealing something that does not belong to them, and eventually killing others in the process.

P.S. But seeing that also Morm has joined the discussion, I am beginning to worry that we got a bit off-topic on this thread
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 03-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote