View Single Post
Old 06-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Has anyone else noticed how we begin only with voices - the voice of the narrator begins the story, giving us background, then we hear the voices of the speakers in The Ivy Bush, but there's no description of the place or the speakers. Its not till we get four pages into the story, with the arrival of Gandalf, that Tolkien gives us any desrption of place. I find this odd, given that Tolkien is so meticulous in his descriptions of place (especially) in the rest of the book. It creates an almost 'dreamlike' feel to the story, as though the 'voice' of the storyteller is the first thing we become aware of, & only gradually do we begin to 'see' what's going on.

I'm also struck by the fact that the Istari seem to have a knowledge of gunpowder! Is this significant, given what Saruman gets up to later? A couple of other things - why is Bilbo's birthday speech given in italics, without quotation marks - the only example in the entire book, as far as I'm aware of direct speech being presented in that way?( I also like Gandalf telling Bilbo that nobody will read his book - Tolkien expressing his own doubts, perhaps? ) And has anyone else wondered to what extent the Ring was inspiring Bilbo's desire to leave the Shire? Maybe it wanted to leave the Shire - Sauron calling it. I notice Frodo, once in possesion of the Ring, also wishing he had gone with Bilbo, after Bilbo had told Gandalf that Frodo was still in love with the Shire, & wouldn't want to leave. Finally, another indication that Hobbits aren't all that 'perfect' - they aren't above barging into people's houses & pilfering, even vandalising the place!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote