View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Tevildo's post

“Ma’am, I have come swiftly as you requested.” Turon respectfully bowed to Lady Galadriel and her consort while silently wondering why they had summoned him here. On a number of occasions, he had carried messages for Galadriel outside the vail of Lórien. He had returned from such an assignment a few days earlier and had hoped to be able to spend time with family and friends.

He always found such long journeys difficult. Every time he stepped out of the forest, he felt as if he was entering a different world, one where he truly did not belong. It was not easy to be pulled away from the timeless veil of the forest and pressed into service in other lands where even the passage of the days felt different. He found this sensation particularly disconcerting when dealing with other Elves whose ways of doing and thinking were so different. One day he had questioned Galadriel about that strange sensation of slipping from one time to another, and she had laughed with a pure silver voice tinged with sadness, “Yes, Turon. Someday when you journey to the West, it is you who will feel comfortable and they who will feel odd. We cling to old times and old ways but most of Arda, even enclaves like Rivendell and the northern forests, already have one foot in the world of Men.”

Turon’s musings were interrupted by Galadriel’s words, “I am sorry to ask this, but we must learn more. I have seen strange things in my mirror. You must journey to the forests of the north, that which is now called Mirkwood, and bring me a report. We have heard of the spread of evil, terrible evil, within the forests of the north. You must leave tomorrow. First, travel to the court of Thranduil. Perhaps he will know something of what has occurred or will have sent out a party himself. If so, you may need to join them. Whatever happens, you must stay in touch with me by Osanwe, that we may learn what is happening and whether these events pose a threat to our own lands. ”

Then they sat down to discuss the details of Turon’s journey. An hour later, the younger Elf stood up to take his leave. Bowing respectfully to Galadriel and Celeborn, Turon repeated his promise that he would report back information and, if needed, do everything in his power to take a stand against the doom that now seemed to be spreading over Mirkwood. He left the meeting with a heavy heart as he considered the long and uncertain road ahead. For as long as anyone could remember, Thranduil and Galadriel had not been friendly, apparently the result of an ancient coldness that had arisen between the Sindarin Elves and the Noldor. They were not enemies, but neither were they friends. He was the first envoy to be sent to the court of Thranduil in a very long time. He wondered whether he would find kindness and courtesy there or something very different. And the thought of joining a scouting party of Elves from Mirkwood did not please him…..