View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

GreatWarg's post

The forest was incredibly still, as was the air; his sensitive ears could not hear the low mutterings of the trees as they talked amongst themselves, nor could he hear the bated breath of the wind. Occasionally, he would discern some movement on the very edges of his sight, some unusual squirrel hoarding nuts for its winter store, or perhaps even a doe and her fawn passing by before they disappeared into the darkling woods. Or it could be something much nastier.

Sleep eluded him for the better part of an hour, though the pup was exhausted from the day’s march. Khelek thought Mirkwood smelt too musty, felt too stifling, and was in general a Very Bad Place to be in. This practical sentiment only grew as the small company traveled further south, and there were less wild beasts and more things that crept in the dark, out of sight but not out of mind. He found it hard to believe that Elves lived in any part of this murky and unwholesome place, though Khelek had never been very far north where the Wood Elves lived.

Speaking of Wood Elves… The wolf stirred as Rûdhchamion landed, his “puppish” curiosities subdued by lack of sleep, and could only offer the Elf a questioning look. If he was planning on leaving their makeshift campsite alone, Rûdhchamion had another thing coming—it seemed impractical and out of character of the Elf for him to leave Taralphiel and Anarya unprotected.

Sleep lightly. I will scout a bit and forage. Keep alert. Khelek would have liked to insist he come along, or at least persuade Rûdhchamion from leaving, but was simply too tired to argue. Rûdhchamion, after all, knew the ways of the wood better than anyone else. I will not wander far and too long, he promised.

Sighing, the pup yielded and settled down again. I should hope so. Rûdhchamion’s smile, though meant to be reassuring, seemed all too grim.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-31-2005 at 06:01 PM.