View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 12:29 AM   #15
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Quote:
Akhtene
No tradition of obedience, of accepting someone being superior to you
can't agree. cf:
Quote:
And Felagund seeing that he was forsaken took from his head the silver crown of Nargothrond and cast it at his feet, saying: 'Your oaths of faith to me you may break, but I must hold my bond
Not mere tradition, but even ceremonial rites, i.e. subjects were to take "oaths of faith" upon enthroning of the monarch.

Still more, High elves where closest to the source of such a tradition - Valar. No better paragon of rightful monarchy was to be found elsewhere, but in Valinor.

Low influence of the "High" King of the Noldor (I think Tolkien terms such a person simply "king of the Noldor") has several reasons, them reading as follows:

1. Political system of elves at the given time is not feudal, but rather tribal - each leader is reigning over some family group - ie sindar, noldor, nandor etc, not, strictly speaking, over "feud", piece of land. Therefore high kings authority is similar to that of a "Tribal alliance Chief"'s.

2 elves are fallen. Their rebellion agains Valar made it impossibel for thir high king to rule by advice, as Manwe does. For obedience to Manwe is of free will, he is not forcing, but his subjects are rather allies and friends, than subjects proper

3 elves are not fallen enough, ie they mental state is not allowing their high king to become tyrant. They still retain the memory of how King should behave, but it's not always enough, so to say.

H-I said [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote