View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #36
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
-two of the best poems in the book (I'm personally partial to Gil-galad and I'm always deeply saddened that Sam didn't learn more of it!)
Ah, yes. Tinuviel there has always been enhanced in feeling due to (as was the intent) the connection with Aragon. Reading the book through again with knowledge of Arwen, and what the War of the Ring means to Aragorn personally, makes it that much more poignant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
But if it was only one horse the Nazgûl (or the Southerner?) wanted, was it really aimed at them at all? Or is it possible that the entire stable just tried to break out and flee the Nazgûl when they attacked the inn and someone (the Southerner?) decided to just get a horse out of it?

I especially wonder... was it a black horse? Maybe one of the Black Riders needed a new steed.
Well, Gandalf tells Frodo later that the steeds of the Nazgul were specially bred (to endure their terror), so I can't see them being able to use any horse from Bree.
I think their intent indeed was to slow Frodo down, and the Southerner got the horse incidentally to enable his escape.