View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 06:12 AM   #293
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The transformation of Snaveling was remarkable. Before their eyes his confident, happy façade fell away, and once more he became the shifty-eyed rogue they had known. He licked his lips nervously as he looked from Aman to Toby to Pimpernel. He glanced at the door as though contemplating escape, but Roa had chosen this moment to finally pay him heed, and for the first time today she was looking at him with something less than the bitter disdain that he had come to expect from her, and which he thought would ever mar her expression toward him. He turned back to Aman, and saw that she was becoming increasingly suspicious, and for a moment – just a moment – he thought he saw something else in her eye…something that regarded him in a generous light…something that would be hurt were he to prove himself once more a rogue, and a thief, and a vagabond.

It was a tight spot for Snaveling, the tightest yet, and he was alone in it. Galadel was across the room with Roa, apparently unaware of what was transpiring. Aman was suspicious, but not yet awake to what had happened. Toby, perhaps his dearest friend – for he was the one who, in an odd way, best understood Snaveling – was weaving toward him, smilingly unaware that this time he was the victim of the Man’s vicious nature.

And Roa was watching him, with those maddeningly perceptive green eyes of hers.

It was a tight spot. The happy music of an increasingly boisterous group hung about him like offending flowers, and the general clamour of the partygoers weaved about him. But it did not include him: he was, as always an outsider. But then something occurred to the Man that had never really crossed his mind before. This isolated pain, this solitary void in the middle of such celebration…was his own doing. So palpably did he feel this truth that he took a small step backward. His hand reached up and clutched the amulet about his neck. He had taken Toby’s gold. He had betrayed his friend and put his own head in the noose. He had taken what he had been given from Toby, Aman, Galadel and Roa and carelessly thrown it aside for the sake of a new set of clothes.

He did not feel guilt, not yet. It was a long road that Snaveling was travelling from the Man he had been, and there remained far to go yet. But he did feel shame – shame for his betrayal of Toby, and shame to be so nakedly caught out by Aman, before the very eyes of Roa. He looked back and forth between the two women, then addressed the Innkeeper. “Yes,” he said, “Yes, Toby was generous…or rather,” he turned to the hobbit who was now within earshot. “Hello Toby. I’m sorry but I seem to have interfered with your plans somewhat. I borrowed a coin from the pouch, so now there will only be ten for Aman. You see,” he said hurriedly, “you were asleep and I wanted to make a purchase rather urgently,” he indicated the boy, “so I took the coin without asking. I realise I probably shouldn’t have, but there’s no harm yet. If you wish to have the coin back, I can get it for you from the tailor I’ve asked to meet me here. But if you are willing to loan it me, I will be sure to pay you back as soon as I can.” He paused here and looked at Aman -- he lacked the courage to look at Roa -- to see her reaction. She frowned lightly, and it was enough to prompt Snaveling to speak further to Toby. “I admit, it may be some time before I can afford to pay you back, but I will give you whatever surety you require.”

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 04-14-2004 at 04:52 PM.