View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #7
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

I guess I always imagined it somewhat like that, but as far as numbers of a physical attack, I'd have to say it was on the lower end of the spectrum, not more than 2,000. A force of elves that large marching to war would surley have been mentioned somewhere in the books. After all, the elves of Lorien rarley went far abroad, and i can't see Galadriel's girdle of protection reaching all the way to the fortress that Sauron's magic so long gaurded.

I think there probably was a physical battle with the boldest orcs and trolls that hadn't fled. But I also think the council would have some considerable counter-spells to cast and words of command to speak: Sauron had been practicing his black magic their for a long time.

Also, Gandalf says it was by Saruman's devices that they regained Dol Guldur. Maybe those "devices" were magic of some kind.

I cant imagine Sauron stiking around long when the Council's strokes fell: I think he was half way to Mordor by then, a dark spirit floating on the breeze.