View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ar Pharazon? I was thinking of Mithrellas elf of Lothlorien and supposed ancestress of the Lords of Dol Amroth , not the "known" Elvish strain in the line of Elendil and other descendants of Elros. And I didn't relate the Elf blood to being tempted.

Interesting that Faramir seems to know what happened even before he knows about the Ring, "What did she say to you, the Lady that dies not? What did she see? What woke in your heart then?.." .

It is possible that the verse Gandalf says "in Dwimordene, in Lorien.." originated from Rohan and Gandalf was reminding of them rather than informing. Faramir comments that the Men of Rohan "shun the Elves and speak of the Goldenwood with Great Dread". I think in Cirion and Eorl in UT the host of Eorl is "protected" by the mist emanating from Lorien. It may be that although this was benevolent it was sufficiently uncanny to be a basis of the widespread suspicion of Lorien and its inhabitants. We know that they have an oral tradition and so stories are more likely to get distorted as they pass that way rather than being written.
The Rohirrim are a more superstitious lot on the whole - using terms like devilment, devilry, devil's mirk seems to be a feature of their language.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote