Thread: The New Shadow
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 04:13 AM   #13
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
I have severe reservations about the 200+ year old Borlas, and I think this thread is giving way too much weight to the statement of Borlas' presence at the time of the fall of Barad-dur.

Not only is there no indication that Borlas or Beregond were of "pure" Numenorean ancestry, but even if they were, it would still make Borlas older than Aragorn! And Aragorn's longevity was in itself an exception to the rule (as Findegil has already mentioned), given that in Aragorn a bit of old Dunadan majesty was restored.

So why would some (frankly) random Gondorian have a lifespan longer than Aragorn (or even Eldarion)? Nothing about this makes a lick of sense - not to mention that in the 1972 letter in which the c. FO 220 date appears, nothing whatsoever is said about Borlas or any character in the story for that matter.

Which makes me think that we should remove the statement about Borlas being Beregond's son, as well as the mention of Borlas being alive during the fall of Barad-dur.

Perhaps we could say that he was a descendant of Beregond?

He could (and should) still be very old - old enough to at least be a child during the final years of Aragorn's reign.

Last edited by Arvegil145; 09-04-2023 at 04:21 AM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote