Thread: Gandalf's Staff
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #30
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Quote:
Again my point is that the staff isn't really that special, nor is Gandalf helpless without it, but like he said on Caradhras, he can't burn snow and so needs something.
You and I are on the same wavelength concerning this. I've never said that Gandalf is helpless without his staff, on the contrary I've always said that the power originates in Gandalf and that he can cast spells without it (as we see him do at some occasions). But I still think that the staff is making it easier.

About the staff not being special, didn't you yourself wonder about the fire resistance of the staff? How can we explain this without a protecting power of some kind? A staff made of stone? Besides, I doubt that a piece of wood can be used as a magic channeler or resist the strains this must bring.
Quote:
My point is that if the staffs had any innate power, then Sauron may have attempted to acquire one or more. Sauron had a palantir, stole black horses and also had his minions gather up any mithril that they stumbled upon, and so sought out that which could be used or turned to some evil purpose.
Again: maybe Sauron wanted the staffs. But to acquire one he had to kill (or at least seriously hurt) Gandalf, Saruman or Radagast. He needed Saruman for other purposes and I don't think he wanted to upset his ally yet. And for Gandalf he would need a very powerful servant which could destroy him. And why risk someone like the witchking to gather a staff which might help him a little bit (or give him an excuse for an irritating HAAAHAAA and some fingerpointing in the direction of the Istari). Then there's Radagast. We don't know much about his whereabouts and doings but I think we can regard him as a wizard of lesser power than Gandalf or Saruman. We don't even know if he have a staff as far as I know, except for the mention of "five wizard's staffs" by Saruman.

My point his, I don't think that they contained enough power to interest the Dark Lord or make him risk one of his most powerful minions, but they contained some power.

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote