View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:58 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Hey ye oldsters, take up your brooms, we'll strike a sweeping party!

The following is directed at 'old' members, i.e., those who remember EzBoard times and have been around prior to our migration to UBB software.

When occassionaly I happen to wander in our attics, I find some posts which originally took place in Ez times, posts (possibly) of great value, but of horrid appearence. They usually look like one to follow:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
Re: Orcish Fear

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> 2) Tolkien got the idea for Orcs from Béowulf, where they are mentioned but not elaborated. Goblins did not really have an immediate relation to the elves of Norse-Teutonic myth; so this connection is flawed somehow.<hr></blockquote>

I don't remember where did I pick it up, still an idea is twisting in my subconscious that the word ork meant &quot;whale&quot; in old english

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000111>HerenIst arion</A> at: 11/7/00 4:45:12 pm
Not that easy to wade through, even when it is a short post. Now imagine if same goes for length of several A4 format pages?

What I need you oldsters for now is that once in a while, when you occasionally meet such a post of your authorship, (please) take a minite or two to get rid of these rags. For it is not you only who happens to stray into our attics once in a while, and I suppose many a good topic were not read due to repelling appearence it had thanks to old code tags left in it. But a minute of your time, and the post looks much more attractive:

Quote:
Wight
Re: Orcish Fëar

Quote:
2) Tolkien got the idea for Orcs from Béowulf, where they are mentioned but not elaborated. Goblins did not really have an immediate relation to the elves of Norse-Teutonic myth; so this connection is flawed somehow
I don't remember where did I pick it up, still an idea is twisting in my subconscious that the word ork meant whale in old English

Edited by: HerenIstarion at: 11/7/00 4:45:12 pm
I don't urge you to do it on purpose. In many cases (in my very own - more than half of my posts, as I've been far more fertile poster in my first year than I'm now, falls under the category of 'posts in the attic') it would be overly time-consuming, even impossible, to set out and edit all of them in one go. But it can be done over time. Don't just pass by when you see such a post of yours, do some sweeping. After all, it is your post, if not now, once it was dear to you as a medium for thought once held, even if debunked since.

Many members who posted in days of yore and have similar 'attic posts' are no longer around. We can't help their posts looking the way they do today, but we can cleanse ours. Some even may be deserving to be thrown into a dustbin, and you'd be glad to have a chance to reread and delete it, as you'll be striken by their 'unsuitability' to standards, or to what you think appropriate today.

Please?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-26-2004 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typos
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote