View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 05:06 AM   #27
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Certainly, I think it will be a test of Bezos whether RoP gets its full run. There's been plenty of press around how this is a passion project, something he wants to get "right," (I think he's got a son who's a big Tolkien fan?). So... let's put your money where your mouth is.

At its current level of "meh," if RoP makes it to the full five seasons, then it may well show this is a passion project rather than a strictly financial enterprise (Bezos can bankroll a whole cinematic universe and have no one watch it, if he wants). Sure, there are financial-adjacent reasons to continue the show, even if it's not making money, but that would be a strong indicator.

Even though I'm ambivalent on the show itself, I rather hope he does. First, it means four more years of a pleasant "active Barrow-downs" routine I have been quite enjoying. But, second, at a larger level, I dislike the "be a hit immediately or be cancelled" trend of the streaming era (driven in part by the fact that most contracts require you to start paying people much better after the third season, motivating Netflix et al to cancel the show before it gets there). RoP maturing into something good is unlikely to change that trend given the prestige of its conception, but it might at least give some shelter against the prevailing winds.