View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Technology means the strudy of craft, skill or art. I don't see that it is inappropriate.

I don't think we know wnough about the manufacture of elf cloaks to say they are beyond reach of mortals., in fact the evidence is rather the cotrary. The elf says they could have taught him much but not in the few seconds they had before boarding the boats. There are a limited number of ways that even an elf can twist a fibre. Similarly we know that the cloaks were woven by Galadriel and her maidens. Weaving is more complex than rope making and mayb some of the virtue is in he way it is woven but I don't see indication that other races with the same equipment couldn't reproduce it albeit less proficiently. These seem to be things that require materials, method and skill not magic even if they seem magical.

There are things that are the work of specific individuals wjich probably could not be rellicated...even Feanor could not remake the silmarils. The Mirror of Galadriel sEems quite specific to her, quite possibly a manifestation of her innate power enhanced by wielding the ring of water. It seems unlikely that just anyone elf or no could pour water into the basin and create the mirror. That is beyond skill.

I don't see how saying elves are sub creators is a conclusive argument. It seems meaningless ..how are elves sub creators in a way that excludes other races?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote