View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #56
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
Thanks for excavating this thread Beebs.
I did it because of Mister Underhill's great sense of vocabulary. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
Also it was a chance to use the word Weltanschauung, which I never pass up. Try it. It's fun. Weltanschauung.
. . . . and because we have more German-speaking Downers now than in the past and I wanted to see what sense they would make of a word which has sounded 'round the world. Really, no one has taken up my alternate suggestion of Sturm und Drang, which I continue to think has Tolkienesque potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
I don't know about changing or effecting my view on life (or anything beyond) but given that I ended up writing my Master's thesis on Tolkien and that I'm now trying to retool my entire existence so that I can be a writer rather than an academic it would seem that having read the works and admired the writer has guided me in ways I never would have expected when I first encountered Middle-earth at the ripe age of 11.
Now this raises an interesting question. Did you take up this ring-work, so to speak, voluntarily, or were you pre-destined to be the bearer of this guidance? Were you free to reject Tolkien's influence or not?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 04-13-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: a slip of the code ruins quotes
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote