View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
So where do you find this Northern air?

For me, the supreme section has to be the Kinslaying and the flight of the Noldor. The Prophecy of the North. The Crossing of the Helcaraxe. The Burning of the Ships.

I have always thrilled to hear stories like that - violent, epic and glacially cool. It might be the Viking blood in me calling out for such thrills, but when I hear about Feanor's deeds, no matter how bad he is, I just love it. I get the sense of sitting in a Longhouse with the fire blazing while the wind howls outside and a storyteller relates the tale. All it needs is a ruddy big dragon to descend with flames of fury to make it complete.

This kind of writing, together with the intimate re-imaginings of folklore (e.g. Tom and the Hobbits), is to me where Tolkien really excels. He just tells the story, no matter how violent, with no narratorial interruptions or asides, and it's left to you, the listener, to get your kicks. It's fey and fell and all of that.

Does anyone else get the urge to go on a rampage and burn a few ships after reading that kind of thing?
I agree, it really makes my spine tingle and I love the way they let their anger overide every other thought in their mind (especially Feanor). They throw patience to the wind and rise up for themselves, forsaking the Valar and their council. Righteous rage I like to call it.