View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #32
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
That is a wonderful line, one of my personal favourites, but can you imagine Peter Jackson, with his rather "hasty" personality, embracing that philosophy in today's society of instant gratification?! I think he did not have a fundamental understanding of the Elves and if you don't grasp something yourself, you can't make others understand it.
That is true. I had not considered that. Do you suppose that if he had had some understanding of the elves he could have, without making the movie longer, made the elves more acceptable to the audience? That is...portray so that even the non-LotR readers would understand what they were? (Other than the perfect appearance character who says very little....)

Still, I've met some people who don't think he was badly done. For instance, one boy I know, he's 12, I think, has read the book and seen the movies and he says that Legolas is his favorite character in both the books and movies. Now, you can't say that he only likes him because he looks good, because this particular boy is part of a family who's all for very masculine boys and men and despises whimpy males, and probably doesn't care two cents about how they look.

So, to some people, maybe he was portrayed correctly....

-- Folwren