View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #42
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
Animated Skeleton

I’ve noticed that many here on the Downs (myself included) first encountered LOTR during impressionable formative years (usually early adolescence), at a time when many of us were struggling, consciously or unconsciously, to construct a view of the world that made sense to us. LOTR is a tale with a strong, uncompromising, clearly defined moral element. So I’m wondering... what credit (if any) do you give to JRRT’s work in shaping your own moral system/personal philosophy/worldview? Do you think you would be a different man or woman than you are today if you hadn’t read the books? Can three or four books change a person’s life?

Are you suggesting, Mr. Underhill, that LotR speaks mainly to impressionable youth and that others who have already developed or established their own worldview find less value in it? If so, then perhaps you have identified how LotR 'chooses' its readers?