View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #634
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"I think Garmund too should tell Cnebba that he is sorry. It would make working together tomorrow easier if some bad feelings were put aside before the night is ended."

Garmund hung his head to avoid his father's look. "I won't. It's not my fault."

"No?"

"No. Not unless Cnebba says he's sorry first."

"Me sorry?" cried Cnebba. "You're the one who's been mean. I won't."

Though unhappy with the boys' stubbornness, Garstan grinned to Stigend. "Well. It seems that you will need to learn to be friends again first. Maybe it is for the best. The words will mean more if they come after a hard lesson than if forced by your fathers."

Both boys twisted uneasily.

"Now, Stigend. Do you think we should send Cnebba and Garmund away from the hall for their new chores? If they stay here, we can't trust that they will keep to their jobs when there are so many other things to do."

"That is true," Stigend answered. "Garstan, do you remember when we were working earlier? There was a shepherd who came asking for help with the shearing, but there was no one who could be spared with the work here."

Garstan thought back for a moment. The day had been so filled with strange happenings that more ordinary happenings had nearly been forgotten. "Yes. I do now. Ordulf from just outside the town?" Stigend nodded, and Garstan's grin broadened. "It would be a fine thing for our boys to learn to shear sheep."

"So it would."

"Then it is settled. Tomorrow Garmund and Cnebba can go to the shearing, if Lord Eodwine has no other tasks for them."

"And maybe they can take extra chores here too."

"Yes. There is always more work to be done. And I will see to Lčođern's evening tasks as well. Maybe she can learn needlecraft in the evenings when the boys are at their studies. Good night, Stigend."

"Good night."

Garmund frowned his deepest frown, angry at everyone. When he settled down to sleep for the night, it was without a word to his father or to anyone else.

Last edited by Celuien; 12-13-2006 at 08:34 PM.