View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #623
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
"Then I will demote her to head cleaning girl, and make you hostess. That is my thought." He sighed. "And maybe a bad one. I have let my own wishes get in the way of what is best, and I am sorry for it. I think we will all three of us do well to sleep on this and speak more of it later. Good night, Kara."

Shocked at Eodwine's words it took Kara a moment to realise he was leaving, but as his good night fell she jumped up from her seat and took his sleeve between her fingers to gain his attention and stop him. Of any talk that had gone by tonight this was the most startling to Kara and she was determined to put an end to it now.

"My lord, I agree that sleep would do us all well, but not if all it will do is encourage this latest thought. If you demote Saeryn now it would be as though you were punishing her for not wishing to marry you."

Eodwine's mouth opened in protest but Kara barely noticed, agitated as she now was, and she swept on.

"Even if that is not your meaning the gossips that speak of your every move will certainly make something of it, and Saeryn too will be hurt by such a decision. She has thoughts to leave, Eodwine, you know that. Treating her like a, a child will only encourage those thoughts. If she believes she isn't wanted here or that she is a burden to you she will not stay."

Kara paused a moment to let Eodwine absorb what she had said and to give herself a chance to calm down. She was aware that her words could be seen as insulting and she had no desire to offend the man who had given her work and a home and made her feel so welcome. Still, it was important he understood what would happen if he went through with something thought up in the heat of a moment.

Softer now, with humour in her voice, she continued.

"And as for making me hostess? I have no noble blood in me and would not have the first idea of what to do. I like my position well enough thank you, lord. In any case, Frodides would have your head if you took me away now when she has just got used to sharing her kitchen. She likes Saeryn but would not take kindly to training another girl up from scratch just when she's done hammering her wisdom into the last one."