View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #619
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden smiled and drew back a moment after Stigend asked his question. His arms came off the back of the chair and his hands wrapped around the sides. “I haven’t done very much building, really,” Thornden said. “But I would be willing to put my mind and hands to it, if you’d be willing to try to teach me.”

His small smile was returned in full from Stigend. The carpenter was glad to hear that. Thornden then asked what all had been done that day, and the two men began to give a detailed account. Garstan had apparently finished most of the stonework. The ovens were completed and all that was left was to place a few more stones in the hearth, so that it extended some three to four feet from the fire place in a half circle.

“Ran out of daylight today, or I would have done it all,” Garstan said. “It won’t take very long at all.”

Stigend then explained what he had done. More work on the beams and other wood that would soon begin to be put in place. Thornden listened with interest and when Stigend had done, he asked another question.

“So, tomorrow, you say, you’ll be in need of a few steady hands?”

“In a day or two, anyway,” Stigend corrected.

“Good. Well, then, unless Eodwine has need for me elsewhere, I will be more than happy to help you.” He stood up as he spoke and moved the chair from beneath him. “Thank you very much for the account of today. I hope all turns out well with your children. I am going to make certain that my own two charges are getting ready to turn in and then I think I will do so myself. Goodnight.”

The two men said goodnight as well and Thornden turned and left the hall. He went slightly and quickly upstairs and opened his door softly to see if Javan had gone to bed. He had, and he was sound asleep, snoring softly as he lay on his back. Thornden left again at once and went back down stairs to Lys’ room. This bedroom was empty and the bed still made.

“He must still be outside!” Thornden said quietly to himself as he went back out. “I’ll look to see.” He did so accordingly and upon exiting the building saw Lys almost at once, seating with his back against the wall and his head tilted upwards. Thornden stopped and looked, somewhat surprised to see Lys sitting alone. He approached in a moment and knelt on one knee in front of him. He touched the boy’s hand and Lys looked down. “What are you doing out here?” Thornden asked. “I thought that by now, you’d be in bed, what with everything you’ve done today. Aren’t you worn out?”