View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I'm using the word Bailiff in my posts. Is there another word I can or should replae it with? I can't think of anything better, but if you don't want it there tell me. But also help me out with a replacement, please!
Quite simple, after having done the necessary research, and wouldn't you know that Tolkien has beaten us to it? The correct word is steward. Plain and simple. I think that the title of steward means more than bailiff, but I have no problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
Perhaps Saeryn will take up the post of the Offical Greeting Lady.
Sounds great to me, Fea. The title for that role is, I'm afraid, rather prosaic: hostess. Alternates are 'stewardess' (but that would be at a higher level than hostess, and require more responsibility), and 'housewife', since there is apparently no distinction that I'm aware of between woman and wife. At any rate, Særyn seems to have slipped into the role rather smoothly, and that's fine with me.

Sorry, Anglo-Saxon and Rohirric cultures were not exactly known for equality of role between the genders.