View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #27
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Harstan scowled at the dog that stood barking at his feet and then at its mistress. He did not mind that it barked; many dogs did so, except his own, which knew him too well to cause any trouble for him. When Harstan turned back to Bethberry he had the frightening smile on his face again, and he spoke in a mild tone. "My dear lady, the boy is not my son," said he, "but he works for me at my 'ome. To that effect, he is my boy."

"Is he able to do the work well with his burns? Are you sure he is not a burden rather than a help?"

"It's very kind of you to consider that difficulty," said Harstan, "but every little bit of 'elp is appreciated, and besides," and here he stood tall, "I would not turn down a poor little burned boy which was begging for work. You get along all right, don't you now, Andhun?" The boy hesitated slightly and glanced up at Rochadan, but Harstan narrowed his eyes and stood taller. Andhun cowered and murmured a soft 'yes.' Harstan grinned his leer again. "There, you see, ma'am?" he cried. "He's that 'appy where he is."

Cynan looked to Andhun and could see instantly that this was a lie. He looked back to Harstan and a sly little grin came to his face, and he began to walk towards the door. As he passed Harstan the ugly man gave a sharp cry and clutched at his foot. Scowling down at Cynan, he cried, "Clumsy little boy, you stepped on my foot!"

Cynan's face was the picture of shock and innocence as he laid a hand on Harstan's sleeve and said earnestly, "Sir, I apologize profusely. I did not see your feet down there." He glanced down at the boots of the man and said, "But really, sir, what big feet you have." Harstan saw that he was being watched so he contented himself with scowling at Cynan until the boy was out the door. Then he smiled at the Tavern staff. "Those boys can be so wild sometimes," said he, "and I have no doubt whatsoever it was the same wildness that which compelled my own boy 'ere to leave." He let his foot fall to the ground. "Now, ma'am, as I was getting to saying, I would like to take my boy now, for---" He did not finish but instead gave a sharp cry.

Nobody said anything, but all looked at him in a questioning manner. He rubbed his cheek. "What was that what 'it me?" he grumbled, looking about. His eyes fell on something on the floor and he stooped to pick it up. "What's 'ere this?" he muttered. "A little rock, so it is." He glanced about the room but nobody seemed to know anything about it. He frowned in puzzlement, but Andhun had looked towards the open window and seen Cynan standing, a little pile of rocks in his hand.

"So, ma'am, in conclusion," said Harstan, though it should have been more proper to say 'in repitition,' "I should like it very much if I could take this 'ere boy 'ome now, for he is sorely missed."