View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Of Wizards and Time-Lords

As I remember well from our unforgettable Sound of Middle Earth skype sessions, not a few Downers are also avid fans of Doctor Who, a cultural phenomenon whose considerable charm unfortunately eluded me back then. During my absence from the Downs, however, I Saw the Light (in the form of binge-watching the 11th Doctor's first series on a TV marathon) and have become utterly addicted to the Doctor's adventures.

Imagine my delight when, surveying what had happened in the meantime after my return, I discovered a thread titled "The 12th doctor" in the Barrow Downs subforum - and my disappointment at finding it closed for being off topic with regards to Tolkien. I have therefore taken it upon myself to remedy this situation and create a thread for discussing themes and motives occurring in both Tolkien's works and DW, as well as any possible influence of the former on the latter.

This is not for discussing whether Classic Who is better than Nu Who or vice versa, or who was the best Doctor, or your preference for this companion or that one. This is strictly for comparing Who to Tolkien.

A few ideas to start it off:
  • The isolationist non-interference policy of the Time Lords in Classic Who, a race possessing nearly god-like powers which they refuse to use for the benefit of other races, reminds me of the fainéance (Tolkien's word) of the Valar with regard to Morgoth's activities in Middle-earth in the First Age; which would make the Doctor, in his desire to mingle and help, something like a self-appointed Istar.
  • Considering the last part of what I just said, could the Time Lords giving the Doctor a new cycle of regenerations just as he is about to sacrifice himself in defense of the people of Trenzalore in The Time of the Doctor be an echo of Eru endorsing Gandalf's self-sacrifice in Moria by resurrecting him as Gandalf the White?
  • Gandalf's eyebrows and Peter Capaldi's eyebrows. Need I say more?
Discuss!