View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
As Esty has said, these Gondorians are far more courteous, not to say decent, than the thugs we meet in the movie. They are civilised men, fighting to uphold their values. They may be biassed against their enemies, but that is down to desperation & perhaps a growing sense of hopelessness. What we see clearly, though, is that they are good people, & we can understand them, & more importantly care about them, instantly. We know who’s side we’re on & why - & its not simply because (as in the movies) the ‘good’ guys are prettier than the bad guys. This is a battle of Good vs Evil, not a beauty contest..
Nice point, and I'm glad you brought it up because I don't think I got my previous post across well. I didn't mean to come across as Damrod and Mablung being mean, but simply biased, and possibly not understanding the situation the Southrons faced. I could certainly understand their despise for the Southrons, after all, they joined the Enemy that is planning to take away any good left in the world (you've already pointed out Ithilien would be a place worth fighting for, worth saving). I was trying to get across that their view of the Southrons was opinionated since they disliked them, where Sam presents a more neutral, sympathetic look towards them.

We do instantly know that these Rangers are good (possibly even better company then some other Gondorians), and I think that is why Frodo and Sam are so "courteous" to them. Frodo's only fear would be if they find out about the Ring, but we don't even get a sense of that. Frodo has escaped "the eye," and is relieved to come upon such an admirable group of men. The movies I think portrayed it as if Frodo and Sam were "captured," which I thought was a wrong way to go about it.