View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 4 - Chapter 04 - Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Within the first page of this chapter, Sam, Frodo and Gollum’s location changes very rapidly, from the bleak and barren vicinity of the Black Gate to the more pleasant area of Ithilien. The oppressive influence of Mordor lessens quickly as the red eye of the tower’s light disappears. Not only the hobbits’ hearts, but also the emotional atmosphere of the chapter lightens considerably. The point of view is neutral narration in part and seen through Sam’s eyes for much of the story.

I get the feeling that the two overlap in the description of Ithilien – the naming of so many plants and the vivid description of the scents and sights definitely sound like something a gardener would relate. I love this sentence (which is certainly narrative, since it uses vocabulary we wouldn’t associate with Sam):
Quote:
Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate, kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.
How do the descriptions of Ithilien affect you when you read them?

We get a feeling of refuge in this chapter; though Ithilien is no longer a safe place, it seems safer than the lands they’ve travelled through previously. It also offers clean water and nourishment, which is a parallel to previous refuges the hobbits and their fellow Fellowship members have enjoyed. The fact that nourishment is a major plot point in this chapter shows its hobbit-centricity.

Another element of refuge is sleep, and we find Frodo sleeping deeply and restfully here. We get a wonderful glimpse of him through Sam’s eyes (with the more elaborate description of the narrator included).

The conversations between Sam and Gollum are great favourites with many fans, and book readers were pleased to have them included in the movie. The “taters/Po-ta-toes” are probably the lines most mentioned. They show Gollum in a more sympathetic light and bring humour into the tale. A favourite line of mine:
Quote:
I does ask. And if that isn’t nice enough, I begs.
Fun to use in real life…

Then comes potential danger - discovery and captivity by Faramir’s Rangers. This scene is much less hostile in the book than in the movie, characterized by courtesy on both sides, despite the mutual mistrust of strangers. This passage fills in some story elements, showing a new aspect of the battle of Gondor against Mordor (guerrilla warfare) and connecting Boromir and the Rangers, though not yet in detail. What makes the strongest impression on you – the Oliphaunt/Mūmak, the close look at a fallen foeman, the battle action, or the conversations? I enjoy the bits of humour that we find in this encounter, especially chuckling over the Gondorians’ speculation on the nature of the hobbits:
Quote:
Nay! Not Elves… Elves are wondrous fair to look upon, or so ‘tis said.
What is the significance of Gollum’s disappearance here? I know the simple reason, but do you think there is a deeper meaning to it?

There are many interesting questions to ponder and discuss – I look forward to your contributions!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote