View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting The Slow Season: What Now?

We are entering the slow season for Tolkien fans. The last movie has been out long enough so that we are pretty much done talking about it; and the DVD isn't out yet, and the next movie is a ways off. Those who are so inclined have by now read the Hobbit and LOTR, and have asked (or re-asked) the common questions and gotten answers. So what to do on the Barrow-Downs Forum?

One possibility is to drive the Barrow-Wight crazy by coming up with more list-topics and inane chat-threads. Bad Idea.

So what else is there to do?

If you have not yet read the Silmarillion, or Tolkien's other works, now would be a good time. It is a challenge. There are lots of names, and it's easy to get lost. The solution that worked extremely well for me was to keep a pen and paper handy, and draw out the geneologies, relationships, and locations. Sketch a copy of the map, or xerox the one in the book.

Dig into the old Books threads. There are some long and involved topics that are theses in themselves. You can get a pseudo-degree in Tolkienology by studying in the Barrow-Downs Archives. Gandalf would be impressed and your practical knowledge of Middle-Earth topics would leave Saruman in the dust.

You might want to try RPGing. I was hesitant to RPG for quite a while. But last year during this time The Lonely Star was going strong, and I got tossed into the middle of it. What a challenge that was! Plot twists from other folks become fun challenges. Right now there are three RPGs that anyone can join anytime. There are three Inns, one in Gondor, one in Rohan, one in the Shire. Put on your mysterious cloak, don your magical sword, leash your pet dragon, put on your very best Mary-Sue attitude and go visit! (You KNOW I'm joking. Go as the Regular Guy Or Gal Next Door, of the M-E race of your choice. Be quirky, but be real.)

Write some stories of your own. No, really! They may turn out to be drivel or they may turn out to be masterpeices; you won't know 'til you write them. The Barrow-Wight and his editorial team may or may not publish them if they are fanfics; but you don't have to have them posted here. Just write them. The experience is worth the effort.

My point is, rather than grimly hanging on to the fun we had three or four months ago, make some new, constructive fun. The movie talk will pick up when the DVD comes out, but it'll be a while 'til then.

Who's got some more ideas? What about your other talents? Songwriting? Drawing and painting? Other suggestions?