View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great topic!

I don't doubt that Bombadil knew of the dangers on the Downs and maybe he let them stay another day for their protection, yet I do not think that the rain was an excuse for him. I guess that if he wanted them to stay another day, he would have asked or commanded them anyhow.
Goldberry's waching day was, I think, coincidence, though it may be that she was cleaning other things as well as clothes. I do not know and I don't think we ever will.

And as for letting them ride alone over the Downs without him or any protection, I think you are wrong. He did teach them his song and he told them not to leave the grass. He thought it his duty, I suppose, to get the Hobbits out of his lands safely and when they could not do that alone he brought them alone. Bombadil did not go further to Bree, because, as he told the Hobbits, there ended his country and Goldberry was waiting. I do not coubt that this was true, but I guess also that he knew that they were watched there (by Aragorn), and maybe he even set them of the borders of his country there because he knew Aragorn was there at the time.

I never thought of it before, it just popped in my mind.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote