View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #78
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Um, sorry, but no. What you are saying is that the reason I am a number of others have taken badly to the idea of Valkirie-Galadriel is because she is a woman, and had Elrond been in the same spot, we would not be equally as disgusted with the idea. Sorry, but I think that misses the point entirely.
I should have been more clear that my 2nd post comparing Elrond and Galadriel was not directed towards anyone or anything that's been said on this thread, or on the 'Downs. I did something that I never do and went to read youtube comments. Perhaps Galadriel in the show throws a hissy fit (I'm not sure I've seen enough to confirm she does)...but if you want to talk about tantrums? Wow, you don't have to look far to find people losing their minds about Cate Blanchett not being Galadriel, and because of "wokeness" they won't get to see Cate Blanchett in an elegant white gown. Or "Tolkien would be rolling in his grave if he knew Galadriel had a sword." My apologies as well for not being clear there's so much misogyny and sexism in the "fandom" at the moment. This place is a breath of fresh air, even though I still disagree and am glad they're going to show a different Galadriel.

Now if they make her into a Tauriel "This is MY fight" Mary Sue character, then sure the criticisms are going to be more valid. At the moment, they fall flat, when you consider people don't raise the same gripes about depicting Elrond as a fighter.

(Yes I'm doubling down)

In The Hobbit films, Elrond is off hunting orc parties on his borders and then he's armored in Dol Guldur to rescue Gandalf. The latter scene, makes reasonable sense. However, there is whole LOTR and Hobbit movie lore about Arwen's sword named "Hadhafang." It was Elrond's sword, and how great Elrond was wielding "Hadhafang." All made up by Jackson and the team. I don't know about the Amazon series, but the movies are clearly depicting Elrond as a fighter.

And my point here is there is more evidence that would suggest Galadriel is more capable, and has more of a disposition towards fighting (both physically and a greater will) than Elrond. Elrond is most commonly associated with healing, in fact being a great healer.

As I said, Elrond being someone who has commanded armies, and was at the Last Alliance it is a fair assumption to make that he would have actually fought in the battle. But Elrond, unlike Galadriel, is never directly given the action of "fighting" against anyone, or "killing" anyone. It's a reasonable assumption, but that would still be an assumption. Given that he was most known for being a great healer, I think it would be an equally fair assumption that he was at the battle to be serve in the capacity of an advisor (Gil-galad's 2nd in command) and healer. My point is though, we all make an assumption that Elrond would have fought in battles, because he's lead armies a few times. Then we would have to make that same assumption about Galadriel, because she it is directly quoted that she "fought against Feanor" in his attack on Alqualonde.

If you want to consider when Tolkien got philosophical in "Laws and Customs Among the Eldar," then there would even be evidence to suggest Elrond would not want to fight, and would not want to kill anyone, even in battle. Because there Tolkien remarks that a person's healing powers would diminish with the more people they killed. Granted it's not unlike Tolkien to contradict himself when he was writing more philosophically, but to have a problem with Galadriel being depicted as a warrior, and not have it about Elrond, is not a fair criticism. I shouldn't have gone to the extreme of saying it smells of sexism (not with what's been posted on this site) but hop onto youtube and see the hissy fits people who have no idea what they're talking about. I wonder if those trolls ever read Tolkien, because they make the Amazon show runners look like Tolkien scholars.

Last edited by Boromir88; 02-21-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote