View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #2259
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Is it when he tries to answer 'Give me more time!' but all that comes out is 'Time! Time!' - maybe in a squeak?

Ah ... he's hunting mentally for what could possibly be the thing that 'all things devours' and in his mind hunts for ogres and giants and things.
Spot on! The precise passage is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hobbit
Poor Bilbo sat in the dark thinking of all the horrible names of all the giants and ogres he had ever heard told of in tales, but not one of them had done all these things. He had a feeling that the answer was quite different and that he ought to know it, but he could not think of it. He began to get frightened, and that is bad for thinking. Gollum began to get out of his boat. He flapped into the water and paddled to the bank; Bilbo could see his eyes coming towards him. His tongue seemed to stick in his mouth; he wanted to shout out: “Give me more time! Give me time!” But all that came out with a sudden squeal was:

“Time! Time!”

Bilbo was saved by pure luck. For that of course was the answer.
Give or take a couple of synonyms, you can put the entire riddle together just from that one paragraph.

You may consider this bizarre meta-riddle an April Fool's Day gift to you all. Over to you, Pervinca.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote