View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
That's an interesting explanation of Lúthien's name. I remember the Etymologies (which I can't for the life of me put my hands on right now although I have it lying around somewhere) derive it from an older form *luktiēnē "enchantress", from a base LUK- to do with, IIRC, putting a spell on somebody. It's probably safe to assume that the Prof changed his mind about the question a few times. "Flower" in Sindarin, in any case, is loth (as in Lothlórien, "Lórien in Flower" or "Dreamflower"), not luth, although there may be some umlaut or ablaut involved.
Yes Tolkien appears to have changed his mind. As you likely know Etymologies generally dates to the mid to later 1930s, and continued a bit into the early draft writing for The Lord of the Rings. It was ultimately abandoned and reflects and old linguistic scenario.

But well after that, post-publication of The Lord of the Rings, in Words Phrases And Passages Tolkien rather explained.

Quote:
S. Lúthien 'daughter of flowers', lúth 'blossom, inflorescence'
Some websites still have "enchantress", and some refer to both meanings as if both are internal. Unles there is evidence that Tolkien retained the older meaning and thus intended a double maning for this name, my guess is that "daughter of flowers" simply supersedes the older idea.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote