View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 12:16 AM   #124
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

"Ready to go?"

Corrowyn had been standing at Berethion's grave for nearly a half an hour and was startled at the sound of Dimithil's voice. Corrowyn turned around to find the elf standing there, a pack containing what little supplies they had thrown on his back. He smiled at her and she returned it.
"Aye, I am ready," she replied, nodding.

Corrowyn and Dimithil were the last ones to leave this peaceful spot in the Grey Mountains. Due to Corrowyn's injury, the two were forced to stay an extra week after the others had left. Corrowyn remembered the morning the others had left clearly.

Several days before even that, Dimithil invited her to live with him. Corrowyn disappointed the elf by turning him down.
"I am a ranger," she had told him. "I can change myself from being a murderess, but I cannot completely change who I am. As a ranger, every day for me is an adventure. My life is unpredictable and I like it like that. I don't think I could stand to live the same routine every day."
Corrowyn had seen the disappointment on Dimithil's face, but it was a matter of days before he spoke again on this subject.

It was the morning the others parted when Dimithil again approached Corrowyn.
Until then, the elf had planned to leave with the others and Corrowyn had already decided to stay behind and rest a bit longer.
But then Dimithil approached the woman and insisted that it was not good for her to stay behind alone in the condition she was in and decided to stay behind with her. What the elf offered next had surprised Corrowyn; he offered to travel with the woman as a companion.
"I have always been curious what a ranger's life is like," he had reasoned. "Why not experience it myself?"
Corrowyn had smiled at this and immediately accepted Dimithil's offer.

And so they bid the others farewell. Dimithil and his sister embraced and exchanged words. Corrowyn could see this parting from Belle would be difficult for Dimithil.

Tallin was the last she said good-bye to. The two exchanged no words, but simply smiled as they reached each other through their minds. Corrowyn had decided that a proper farewell was not needed between the two. She knew she would see the wolf tamer again.

And now Corrowyn and Dimithil stood together, ready to depart from the Grey Mountains themselves. Corrowyn could not feel any more ready. She had spent far too long in these mountains and longed to venture other lands.
Corrowyn glanced once more back at Berethion's grave. She no longer grieved, for she knew her friend's long journey was finally complete. She pictured him in her mind once more before turning away.
Then she walked over to where Dimithil stood, placing her hand on his shoulder.
"Let's go," she said and the elf nodded in response.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Brinniel ]