View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 AM   #45
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Pleased that he would be able to show off in front of the guests, Tevildo waited for the animals to be silent and then began to speak....

"In the First Age of Arda in the far eastern land of Hildórien, the Secondborn Children arose. Now many of the Vala were taken with these upstarts and believed they could do no wrong. Only Melko could see and understand the true state of things. He was impatient with the slow designs of the Music and warned the others that no good would come from the Aftercomers. Yet Manwe and the others paid no heed to his warning, but unwisely shut him out from the company.

Now, even in those earliest days, the Apanónar took great delight in themselves and often acted as if they were masters of all of Arda, though we all know this is definitely not true. And some of their number were so full of themselves that they decided to follow the course of the Sun and began journeying towards the West. Seeing the Secondborn Children struggling along the road, that busybody Varda decided to try and help, for the earliest Men did a very poor job of hunting and were constantly in need of food. It is also said that these Men were lonely and cried out for a companion.

And Varda travelled to the Secondborn in disguise and she brought with her a pack of giant hounds and made a gift of them to the leaders of Men. And she said these words to the Men: "Here is a companion who will be with you forever. These hounds will be a reflection of my love for you. Regardless of how selfish and childish and unloveable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do. And the hounds were pleased to be with the Men and wagged their tails in approval.

Now, when the wise Melko saw all this, he was sore distressed. For he knew what would happen. And he warned the others but they did not heed him. But one day Varda went again to the camps of the Men and what she saw filled her heart with sadness. The Men had all become filled with pride. Each one strutted and preened like a peacock and believed himself worthy of the rule of Arda. For every day the Dogs looked into the eyes of men and told them they were worthy of honor, and the foolish Secondborn Children believed this lie.

Varda did not know what to do to correct her mistake, and even Manwe was upset to hear what had happened. Finally, in desperation, the couple turned to Melko for help."

Cat stood up and pranced about the firepit, looking each of the animals directly in the eye. "And now, my friends, before I go any further, does anyone in this fine circle know whom Melko called upon to correct Varda's terrible mistake?" Tevildo glanced from one animal to the next and waited for someone to speak.