View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #465
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Business first -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Actual replies as and when, but: Aria is done! So very glad I did the rough version earlier, made it a lot quicker to finish up.
The graphics are great! But I really would want to resing this. I love the duet parts though!

I am on the Elf Choir part of Beren's entrance. I'll post it when I get through the entrance section. I think the harp was a great idea.

And not really business, aka the real reason for the post -

So, I have just finished Part 1 of Act 4. I am conflicted. I feel that I've enjoyed the first 3.5 acts a lot more than this one. Mostly it's that it seems... too much. People shouldn't fall into Camp Finrod or Camp Douchebag. Also, it goes against everything I wouod have expected of Mandos. No wonder no one got reincarnated, they don't give each other a two minute break for self-reflection. And the Let's Replay The Bragollach came across as something slightly deranged; you have all these recently dead people who have just suffered violent traumatic deaths going - let's do it again? I mean, kudos to Finrod, it's utterly mad genius, but also what the hell is that suppised to be, it's mad. Maybe the thing that bothers me most is that apparently the Vanyar are helping out in Mandos? It took me most of the Act to realize the Apprentice was a Elf, I thought all the assistants were Maiar. It seems very wrong for someone to be in charge of dead people's spirits of his own kind. Like, something happens, and he's one of them. Besides, isn't death supposed to be sort of a mystery, even for Elves? You can't just have other Elves managing Death, that's not right.

But it's interesting that this Amarie is very much the "you will hang your head and answer me at last" Amarie. I think the perspective shown in this play actually reconciles me slightly to that line and to the general flip-floppy tantrumy Amarie - though I still like our version better. ^.^ I am quite curious about how Beren will fix that one for Finrod.

I also find it interesting how both fanfics pick up on some of the same details and questions (eg. Where were the palantirs in the First Age?), but then some insights are unique (e.g. from the Script - never occurred to me that Nom and Ingold mean practically the same thing!). And in both I like the not-strictly canonical Beren and Finrod, but sometimes must just bear along with the Luthiens. I guess that's inevitable when you add living detail to a legendary demigoddess.

Edit: wait, so the Apprentice is a Maia after all? Well, firstly, thank goodness, because having an Elf in Mandos Management felt very wrong. But secondly, I have a creeping suspicion that I am about to meet Olorin, and somehow I don't want this guy to be Olorin.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-22-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote