View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #463
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I'll try to do more at some point! Just got a lot of plates spinning at the moment.
I totally feel that. And these last few days, I don't even have that many real-life plates spinning. And yet I find myself quite occupied and torn between the Zong, the Script, the Fic, and other self-inflicted responsibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
(I noticed that the sample only had one stanza of Beren before Finrod comes in on the Appeal - have we accidentally got two translations of the same verse in the Libretto, or were you just sketching?)
Just sketching. I only sketch more/all stanzas if they are different or there is a key change (eg in Wind the second stanza in a set is a minor third higher than the first, and Aria is all about key changes, presumably just for the heck of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
This does make me want to make the Nargothrond backdrop prettier though! If I've got time for a slow fade-in, using it to reveal geometric-looking arches seems a bit of a waste. But I'm not sure what... one to think about in the final, full version, I guess.
I am not entirely sure what to say to this, but the arches are quite elegant and have a large open room, perhaps throne room, air. Whatever you do with that I think will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I certainly wouldn't know anything about that... ^_~
I have too many ongoing side projects. Why again do I do this to myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I think it partly hinges on how you view Orodreth. If he's an inherently weak person, then the Ten can be nobodies, because even an intact government of Nargothrond can't do anything if their Regent says "just give my cousins what they want, they're scary". Given that the two things he does are 1) give in to Cel'n'Cur, and 2) give in to Turin, that's a viable read.
I don't think he's inherently weak. If he really was weak to that degree, I don't think Finrod would have entrusted him with Minas Tirith after the Bragollach, even to spare his brother's feelings - it was too crucial an assignment. And he would not have given Orodreth regency if he thought it would amount to nothing. I think that if he truly took Edrahil's advice, and acted in the interest of the best future for Nargothrond, he would not give the crown to a failure, brother or no. I think Orodreth is not weak - he is just Not Finrod; he's dealing with a kettle of fish not of his own choosing and swimming quite out of his depth, because he has very large shoes to fill. Maybe he even doesn't know what he's doing - or maybe it just seems so to people because anyone would pale relative to the now idealized Finrod, a tough act to follow. But he is not weak, just Not Finrod. As for giving in to Turin, I wonder if that was not tied in to the current story. A second Man comes along and tells them they should go to war; they remember what happened the first time with Beren, and decide that this time they will not prove such cowards... That is the tragedy of Turin's story, that much (not all, but much) of what he does is really motivated by good intentions and good, albeit subjective and therefore limited, reasoning and strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
1) If you've not been reading Gower's narration, make sure you do for his closing speech in the Enteract; the ending is one of the most understated best bits of the Script.
I have - to the misfortune of the Password thread. :-D I only read up to the end of Act III yesterday, and it took me most of the day. I am slightly dreading Act 4, though I am equally excited for it. I am somewhat baffled that I got so deeply involved in Beren/Luthien material. That was never my favourite story in The Sil. How this came to be, I am not sure, but I'm in too deep to back out at this point. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Edit: Now I'm reading Act IV (again again), and I think I just found our theme song:
Does the chorus go - "So Valar help us!" ?

On the Wilwarin fic - which I will start calling the Dawn fic, by its proper name, since it seems this is gonna be around for a while - I have the Prologue done, and since it pretty much reads as a separate and unrelated piece of fiction, I suppose that's one that can be published once proofread. And I am on page 7 of 54 of Chapter 1... of 23 chapters. So Valar help me!