View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #458
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A quick note on a different tangent - I have finally gotten around to reading the Script of Leithian you linked before - and then I realized that I've only read Act 1, there are 3 more to go. It has been very entertaining and a great read, the witticisms and the philosophical passages alternating. I have half a mind to start integrating some of those Elvish expressions into my vocabulary, except no one will appreciate the wit. But a question did come up. Is Edrahil ever stated to be a person of some rank or importance? Both here and in the Wilwarin fic he is described as a person of significant social standing and with a personal relationship with Finrod. That somehow ruins him for me. The Sil describes him as "chief" among the 10 loyal followers - which to me means he was first and foremost in standing with Finrod at that moment, not that he was "chief of Nargothrond" in any other way. I always interpreted it as an instance of abstract loyalty and duty winning over selfishness and doubt. Having Edrahil's motives compounded by personal friendship and lofty position takes away from the deed, I think. When I read The Sil, he's a nobody from the crowd, who barely knows Finrod, but would still stand by his king. Making him the king's chief advisor or best friend or somesuch makes his act less of a sacrifice for what is right - there is less of the abstract and more of the personal. But I am not familiar with the Lay or any other texts on the matter. Is he ever said to be somehow close to Finrod, either by rank/position or friendship? Or can I continue to ignore this as a product of fanfiction?