View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #450
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hmm. What if the background was blurred, or faded, to make it dream-state? Musically, I think it would help things to give Dream a 10-20 second intro, to allow some time between the songs, and allow for a very slow fading back to colour from the black.
Yeah, this works. Or... hmm. If I work up a "Camp" backdrop over which Luthien's stars can fit, I could have her 'dream Doriath' fade smoothly to Beren's Camp.

Quote:
That is absolutely true, but nevertheless I feel like it's still being played up, because it's so hard to imagine living in such a setting (even considering I did live there for a few months a few years back). To give some perspective, I travel some ~230 miles to see my family on holidays; it is far, in the sense that I would avoid going there and back on the same day, but it's close, because if I want to I could drive over after a workday and still arrive before bedtime. Thinking about the local megapolis of Toronto, which never had the benefit of a green belt/zone/whatever it's called which limits city sprawl, 50 miles from the centre of the city will just about get you to the edge of the Greater Toronto Area (ie still "Toronto" to everyone who lives in a different city). Everything is just spread apart so much and it's "normal" - but still, Ottawa doesn't have an accent that's so distinct from Windsor (~460 miles apart, opposite ends of the densely populated region of the same province). Newfoundlanders are known for their accents, but then look at the distances involved (also, they are walled off by the francophone Quebec). Certain places in the US have somewhat distinguishable accents. But for the most part you can't place a person on a map by the way they speak. Like, "you can tell a yorkshireman", but you just don't tell a "Vancouverman", or a "Winnipegman". How do people live so close and not have the accents rub off? How???
230 miles is just about exactly the distance I go on my summer holidays. It's the width of the entire country. It amp't close.

On the specific accent point... where does accent stop and dialect begin?

Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee? / On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at

(Where have you been since I saw you? On Ilkley Moor without a hat)

Like, technically the only non-Standard usage there is 'baht' for 'without', plus the thee and thou, but would you guess that 'sin' was Standard 'since'? And even knowning 'baht' (apparently it's 'but', but I always parsed it as 'bar'), would you be able to translate spoken 'bah-tat' as meaning 'without hat'?

It's crazy, it really is. ^_^ It probably helps that the Received Pronunciation/Queen's English 'standard' accent is an upper-class creation, so not only do non-toffs have a desire to adopt it, they are/were kind of under pressure not to.

(Tolkien, of course, knew this - it's the basis for the three dialects of Quenya, the various forms of Sindarin, and the weird way those Hobbits speak that annoys Gondorians so much.)

Quote:
Dunno. Any preferences? Could keep going with Dream, or could switch gears. Whatever you're feeling. But I probably won't start composing anything new until next week anyway.
Up to you! It would be nice at some point to go back and fill the gap (Appeal & Amarie), to give us a run of nine, but really I'm happy to sing solos or duets with anyone, myself included.

Quote:
I'll send you the doc link once I populate it with some prose translation. I feel that I'm missing out on a whole bunch of religious and historical references...
-_- This is because I dropped that 'crown of thorns' reference onto Sauron, isn't it? ^_~ Religious and historical references is proooobably something I can help with, yeah.

hS