View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #449
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It does! It may be slightly weakened by the next song starting off with the same Doriath background; in fact I think I ended the Aria with Luthien's 'star' version, so it will be literally the same. I'm not sure I can do anything about that, though - we don't want to imply Luthien is literally hanging out with Beren, and the animation style doesn't allow her to be up-stage to show the separation.
Hmm. What if the background was blurred, or faded, to make it dream-state? Musically, I think it would help things to give Dream a 10-20 second intro, to allow some time between the songs, and allow for a very slow fading back to colour from the black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Who's playing it up? I'm seventy miles from central London, but don't even consider it to be somewhere I could go.

I think it's mostly that everything is closer here. I have three significant urban centres within 25 miles (two of them historic), and a full-blown modern city at 30 miles. There's no need to travel further except on a vacation - and Britain in particular has such heavily patchworked terrain that you can go pretty quickly from large hills/mountains to forests to open country wherever you are.
That is absolutely true, but nevertheless I feel like it's still being played up, because it's so hard to imagine living in such a setting (even considering I did live there for a few months a few years back). To give some perspective, I travel some ~230 miles to see my family on holidays; it is far, in the sense that I would avoid going there and back on the same day, but it's close, because if I want to I could drive over after a workday and still arrive before bedtime. Thinking about the local megapolis of Toronto, which never had the benefit of a green belt/zone/whatever it's called which limits city sprawl, 50 miles from the centre of the city will just about get you to the edge of the Greater Toronto Area (ie still "Toronto" to everyone who lives in a different city). Everything is just spread apart so much and it's "normal" - but still, Ottawa doesn't have an accent that's so distinct from Windsor (~460 miles apart, opposite ends of the densely populated region of the same province). Newfoundlanders are known for their accents, but then look at the distances involved (also, they are walled off by the francophone Quebec). Certain places in the US have somewhat distinguishable accents. But for the most part you can't place a person on a map by the way they speak. Like, "you can tell a yorkshireman", but you just don't tell a "Vancouverman", or a "Winnipegman". How do people live so close and not have the accents rub off? How???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Any idea what song you'll do next?
Dunno. Any preferences? Could keep going with Dream, or could switch gears. Whatever you're feeling. But I probably won't start composing anything new until next week anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Uh-oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
So I've been avoiding the other Temple musicals, specifically so I don't wind up down a rabbit-hole... I'm happy to (try and) help out with a song or two, though. Badly interpreting Russian metaphors sounds like fun. ^_~
I'll send you the doc link once I populate it with some prose translation. I feel that I'm missing out on a whole bunch of religious and historical references, but I don't claim to have the same background knowledge as I did for the Zong. Either way, though, I don't intent to derail the Zong project. I feel that the Zong is now mostly musical production, and this is a bit of wordsmithing, so different not mutually exclusive beasts.