View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #447
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
One thing I discovered during the WW game is that this thread got me into a rather funny habit of adding "=Hui" every time I start a quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I actually get irrationally annoyed at songs that have a solid final line, and then insist on echoing, repeating, or fading it. So I am absolutely fine with a complete hard stop there.
Listening and looking at the rough draft clip, I think I agree. A simple cut to black actually looks and sounds very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Eh, I'm British, we don't pronounce the letter R if we can possibly help it anyway. Also I suspect this stuff changes between the various French dialects; I know Germany doesn't even have a consistent pronunciation of the pronoun Ich ("I"), so I'd be amazed if there wasn't a French-speaking region which does it completely differently.

(My money's on Quebec or Romandy.)
Hey, I live next door to Quebec. The finer points of French accents are lost on me, but I imagine Quebecois accents must sound much the same as American accents do to you Brits. They tend to add the American R sound to vowels whenever they can. What in Parisian French is "un deux trois", in Quebecois becomes "urn deurx troirs". I wonder if this was a common tendency in both languages when the colonies were settled.

Quote:
They can't help it.

(But yes, entirely fair. In my defence, Zomerzet is at least thirty miles away, that's practically another planet!)

(It amuses me way too much every time when people play up the saying that in North America 100 years is a long time, while in Europe 100 miles is a long distance. Seriously though, I still can't fathom how even in the modern age you can live on such a tiny territory and not intermingle to the point where the accents all blend together.)

Quote:
I sacrificed my lunch break today to put together a first cut of the Aria animation. The software was be inga li ttle cho ppy, so I haven't done the title card and credits, but the main part is there.

Melian's Aria

It flows directly from the end of Quarrel, of course, but I haven't put Cel'n'Cur in; their fade-out will be done in the joining of the songs together.

I wasn't sure which lines Thingol was scored for in the last verses, so I... uh, guessed. I've had him join the final "How blind have [you/I] become?", to sort of cap-off the realisation aspect of the song. I imagine a look of growing horror on his face during the whole sequence. ^_^
That is excellent! Thingol's lines are spot on, and it sounds really good! I still have not re-sung it. I did edit the score to the point where I think I'm happy with it, at least until I try to record and then not like it again. No changes to the length, so shouldn't affect the animations. I will get around to finally finishing this one day.

My most recent distraction was actually in the form of another Zongian musical... I recently finished watching the show Knightfall, about the last years of the Templar knights. I would not recommend it, I would describe it as the last season of Game of Thrones minus the dragons. But it sparked a thought that I could now rewatch Temple, the first musical set by the crew of V1 and the one that gives them their name. I watched it last summer, when I was scrounging Youtube for all things Zong-related, and I didn't really get it, it didn't catch. But this time, perhaps due to having a bit more of a fleshed-out background of these events from the show, or perhaps from not being as blindly infatuated with the Zong itself, I actually really liked it! In essence, it describes the events surrounding the death of the Templar Grand Master Jacques de Molay. It does require quite a bit of backstory, but makes sense once you know it (sort of like the Zong, I suppose: it would be difficult to follow without reading The Sil beforehand). Their early-2000s effects are a lot better, but I'm afraid the image and audio quality is the same. I really enjoyed their music and the lyrics, as well as the staging and some of the acting. It's fun to watch characters take on different roles, or the same roles with different contexts. For instance, Beren plays the evil councilor; I like him better as Beren, but this is an amusing change of personality. But Galadriel still plays mysterious female roles which provide a philosophical backdrop for the plot, and Sauron still plays the chief Bad Guy. To describe Finrod's character is to say he plays himself: a romantic who tries to live by his principles, who puts personal loyalty above self-preservation and political considerations, who seeks answers, who is confused and disappointed by reality, and after a critical moment he comes to a very Finrodian Truth, and the whole thing culminates in a very Galadriellian meta-Epilogue. There really are a lot of parallels, though it has a different feel than the Zong. They have more group/crowd scenes, which the Zong lacks, and have more metaphorical roles. That musical doesn't have English subtitles, but I figured that if there is interest, I could generate a prose-translation fairly quickly. For now, I only attempted a verse translation of one of my favourite songs: a squire, who barely joined the Order of the Templars before it fell, but who is full of romantic idealism, is "speaking" with the soul of the Master, imprisoned and sentenced to death the following day after refusing to give a false confession. My most favourite song is actually the one that follows right after - it's so incredibly melodic, but will also be difficult to translate because it's full of extensive metaphors that go over my head. If this is something I could drag you into, I could get prose subtitles up in a few days. ^.^

(PS: how is it that you make those google docs come up as website pages, not editable docs? It's not in the sharing options. Do you "publish to the web"?)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-04-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote