View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 03:21 AM   #243
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hehe... So many trees to choose from. A few weeks ago I took my brother out on a nature walk, and the scenery was pretty Middle-earthy, with a pretty river and rocks and trees. And I had the Zong stuck in my head, of course. And it came to me that my dress was kinda cosplaying V2 Amarie. So I made my brother do a little photoshoot in character (attached). Sadly the willows weren't weeping willows, or that would have been an excellent pun. And no mist or deepening shadows, just the burning light of day.
See, you've found a much nicer river than the one they used in V1 Doriath; I'd much rather have drawn this one! But that's all water under the bridge unless I get really bored.

Quote:
As for Truth - I interpreted it initially to fall on the moment of Finrod's death. His last thought, before he "steps through the gate", so to speak. Wind clearly references his already-happened-death and potential rebirth, I am not sure if that can be said truly before Finrod dies. But here is a thought: could Truth occur after the moment of death? En route to Mandos or something? Would it lose potency if it was detached from his death (at the end of Prison Duet)? When does Truth occur? Because that determined the chronoligy with Wind as well. I do agree that mood and moral development suggests Duet - Wind - Truth, but at the same time I am not sure of that works out logically based on the actual content of the lyrics, unless I sshift my mind to reinterpret some things.
V2 Truth is sung by Finrod dressed all in white. I've always seen it as 'Finrod's journey to Mandos', rather than him literally singing as he dies (I mean, Sauron kills him in this version, he wouldn't really have time for a solo!). If it comes after Wind, then we have Amarie singing that she's sending the wind to carry him home, followed by Finrod accepting that journey. I think it works - whereas when she was just moping, it didn't.

Also, once we've finished everything and put it all together, having him fade out to his death followed immediately by sunset over the dead Trees would be very powerful. ^_~

(Still deciding whether to include a moonset towards the end of the song; I'm inclined yes, but will see how it looks.)

I've also made a few lyrics edit to Wind, because there were some very clumsy lines in there. Highlighted in the Libretto if you want to take a look, but it's just minor edits. (Have also listened to your rough-cut, which highlighted a few of those lines for me.) The only one that still bugs me is that 'fingered branches' one, but I can't come up with a better; it needs the webs/death 'rhyme' too much.

Quote:
Edit: I was rewatching the previous videos, and only now realized that the stars reflected in Esgalduin (or whichever Doriath river) are the Valacirca. Man, I was slow on the uptake!
Let me tell you, I am so annoyed that I couldn't show the Sickle in either of the Valinor images. But I need to look west, and it hangs in the north, so I've had to make do with Menelmacar.

You asked somewhere about next songs - I has no preferences. I'm happy to draw whatever comes up.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote