View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #132
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since we're nearing Thingol's song (dunno why, but I never expected it to be the last one standing), there is a (sadly untranslatable) quirk I should probably warn you about. You know how in V1 at the end he keeps repeating "I Sent him! I Sent him!"? I think their translation even put "Sent him packing!" in that spot for emphasis. Well. Thingol sent Beren to get a Silmaril, yes. But to "send someone" is also a euphemistic phrase to, uhh, send them to hell, to the ends of the earth, to the devil's grandmother, or what have you. As a real life example of the usage, not too long ago I was telling my family that I lost my patience with a frequent spam caller and sent them so hard (so far?) that they never called me again afterwards. So Thingol is punning a double meaning of "I told Beren to go screw himself, to shove off, go eat it, etc". I don't think this could work the same in English, but you have full "canonical" license to make Comedy Thingol as ridiculous and punny as your heart desires.