View Single Post
Old 07-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #25
Alassė Estel
Wight

Alassė Estel has just left Hobbiton.
I am not sure if this could be considered a theory, or merely an observation.

Perhaps this has been noted before somewhere else, but I find it most interesting that Tolkien's "Roverandom" seems to occurs in the same universe (realm?) as The Lord of the Rings and all other tales from Middle Earth.

Here is the passage which seems to confirm this:

Another time he [Uin the whale] took them to the other side (or as near as he dared), and that was a still longer and more exciting journey, the most marvelous of all Roverandom's travels, as he realised later, when he was grown to be an older and a wiser dog. It would take the whole of another story, at least, to tell you of all their adventures in the Uncharted Waters and of their glimpses of lands unknown to geography, before they passed the Shadowy Seas and reached the great Bay of Fairyland (as we call it) beyond the Magic Isles, and saw far off in the last West the Mountains of Elvenhome and the light of Faery upon the waves. Roverandom thought he caught a glimpse of the city of the Elves on the green hill beneath the Mountains, a glint of white far away; but Uin dived again so suddenly that he could not be sure. If he was right, he is one of the vey few creatures, on two legs or four, who can walk about our own lands and say they have glimpsed that other land, however far away.
'I should catch it, if this was found out!' said Uin. 'No one from the Outer Lands is supposed ever to come here, and few ever do now. Mum's the word!'

Come to think of it, that's not particulary "crazy", but I did want to relate it anyway.
John 3:16
Alassė Estel is offline   Reply With Quote